‘Supernatural’ Director on Jensen Ackles’ Advice, Juggling Two Characters and That Fight Scene

Variety | 4/26/2018 | Danielle Turchiano
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/sn1320b_0155b.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not yet watched “Unfinished Business,” the 20th episode of the 13th season of “Supernatural.”

Richard Speight Jr. has directed episodes of “Supernatural” before — starting in season 11, through season 12 and now two more in season 13. And while he considers each one challenging in their own right, he admits he never could have taken on “Unfinished Business,” an episode in which he had to direct himself as an actor in two distinct roles, had he not already stepped behind the camera on the show.

Episode - Challenge - Cruise - Ship - Water

“When you’re directing an episode that you’re not in, it’s a big challenge. You’re already looking at an enormous cruise ship you’ve got to move nimbly through the water,” Speight tells Variety. “When you put yourself in the scene, then it’s a different animal. Each [episode] is its own challenge with a steep learning curve, but it was invaluable to have had that experience.”

Speight returned to “Supernatural” as an actor this season — for the first time since 2014 — with the episode “Devil’s Bargain” which revealed his character of Gabriel not to be dead after all, but instead imprisoned and tortured for years.

Unfinished - Business - Gabriel - Loki - Actor

In “Unfinished Business,” though, he not only appeared as Gabriel but also Loki. As both the actor and director, Speight had extra freedom to “make specific choices” on how to differentiate between the characters.

“When you’re not directing yourself you’re reading the scenes in your head a certain way but you can get [to set] and the director has something different in mind, and you have to adjust,” he says. “I didn’t have that problem because I knew what I was thinking!”

Speight - Talks - Variety - Gabriel - Importance

Here, Speight talks with Variety about the new Gabriel, the importance of collaboration on the “Supernatural” set, and how he approached tricky scenes such as...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!