Letters to the Editor (Sports, Hymns, and Hobbies, and Entertainment)

Tim Challies | 4/20/2018 | Staff
gbabii05 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.challies.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Challies-LettersToEditor-940x492.jpg

It has been far too long since I shared a collection of letters to the editor. So here, to remedy this transgression, is a selection of just some of the letters from readers like you that have come my way in the past few weeks. I hope you enjoy them! They deal with sports and hobbies, smutty movies, and what we lost when we lost our hymnals.

Letters on Is There Anything Wrong with Sports and Hobbies?

Hobbies - Mark - Nothing - Chosen - Hobby

Regarding hobbies, I believe you are missing the mark. Whereas I agree there is nothing in and of themselves (sometimes) wrong with one’s chosen hobby, we happen to live in a society with an abundance of time to be spent on whatever pleases us. This time is often better spent in relationship, or entering into someone’s reality. That is, not hiding from truth or reality or the responsibilities placed before you. I grew up in a home where I was raised by a mother and father who were nearly strangers. The television and movies were their “hobby”. The example was set for me that the real joy in life is in pursuit of pleasure. They ignored the relationships around them (and the suffering) and chose to insulate themselves and live in a mediated reality. Seeking to control one’s pain through distraction and submitting to the manipulations of media is really no different than addiction. To this day, I actively have to fight this inclination to follow what pleases me with my spare time. I have a bad track record of pursuing hobbies that take most of my “spare” time and shuts out my family. These hobbies are all much more interesting than movies and television, but they are exclusive and consuming and that is the point. I’m not sure if you meant to convey a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Tim Challies
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Been there, done that, twice...