5 THINGS TO AVOID WHEN A STUDENT COMES TO YOU WITH A CRISIS

Youth Specialties | 4/19/2018 | Staff
Les7799 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://youthspecialties.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/matt-artz-398329-unsplash.jpg

During my first year in full-time youth ministry, a student approached me with a major crisis. When I was in Bible college, I never imagined that I would be counseling a student through this kind of crisis…this soon! When I was sitting in counseling class, and in my homework, and during my discussions with fellow-students, something like this was sort of like a unicorn – you never imagined you would encounter one. But here I was, without much preparation, face to face with a student who had her concept of God totally destroyed, and she wanted me to help her process it all.

As I have gone back to reflect and process that interaction, there are a few things I want to mention. The first is, thankfully, is that God gave me the wisdom to counsel her through the situation appropriately. Her situation was not “fixed,” but I am confident that her relationship with God is growing and becoming healthier. I praise God for that. But He also helped me to avoid some things that could have compromised my ministry to her.

Moment - Others - Things - Student - Crisis

Reflecting on that moment (and others), I’ve dug out five things to avoid when a student comes to us with a crisis:

Don’t forget to pray throughout the entire process. The power of God is more effective then your brightest ideas – 1000 times more.

Shock - Awe - Situation - Something - Lot

Don’t display shock or awe. Don’t act as though their situation is something to be feared or studied. They are not a unicorn. They are a normal human being who is experiencing a lot of pain. They need assurance and confidence. It is fine if you don’t have all the answers; they didn’t approach you because you do. They came to you to feel the love of God and to process their pain.

Don’t tell everybody. The more...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Youth Specialties
Wake Up To Breaking News!