A champion of children's literacy and AIDS activist: How Barbara Bush used her role as the second woman in US history to be both a wife and mother of a president to bring about change

Mail Online | 1/6/1945 | Valerie Edwards For Dailymail.com;Reuters
baileyboo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/04/18/03/4B4400E800000578-0-image-a-36_1524017980274.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/04/18/1494945520559738764/1024x576_MP4_1494945520559738764.mp4

Barbara Bush used her role as the first lady of the United States to become a champion of children's literacy and to fight against AIDS.

Bush, who died Tuesday at 92 years old while surrounded by her family, started her lifelong mission to improve the quality of life for children when her own son, Neil Bush, struggled with reading in elementary school.

Neil - Day - School

Neil said it began when she attended reading day at his school.

'So there's a reading circle and all the kids have a book and they're passing the book kid to kid and they passed it to me and I couldn't read,' he told KHOU.

Neil - Mother - Reading - Level

According to Neil, his mother was shocked and determined to bring his reading level up.

Neil spent Saturdays attending various programs to help him learn to manage his dyslexia.

Lady - Barbara - Focus - Literacy - Number

As first lady - between 1989 to 1993 - Barbara made her main focus literacy and became involved in a number of reading organizations.

She eventually founded the non-profit Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy, which is based in Florida, to help increase literacy levels nationwide.

Neil - Struggle - Statistics - Illiteracy - Schools

It was through Neil's struggle that she realized the alarming statistics of illiteracy in schools.

The Barbara Bush Literacy Foundation will hold its 24th annual Celebration of Reading on Thursday, April 19, at the Hobby Center.

'She - Devotion - Country - Family - President

'She will be long remembered for her strong devotion to country and family, both of which she served unfailingly well,' President Donald Trump and his wife and First Lady, Melania Trump, said in a statement that noted Bush's championing of literacy 'as a fundamental family value'.

Not only was literacy a huge focus for Bush, she also took on issues such as homelessness, teenage pregnancy, and AIDS.

Paul - Brandus - West - Reports - Bush

Paul Brandus with West Wing Reports reminded Bush's admirers of her commitment to these issues when he tweeted a photo of Bush...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!