Ancient Egyptian Incantations Tell of Biblical Human Sacrifice

Live Science | 4/17/2018 | Staff
Tanya9 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://img.purch.com/h/1000/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5OS8zODgvb3JpZ2luYWwvbWFnaWMtcGFweXJ1cy5qcGc=?&imgtype=.jpg

Scientists have deciphered what they describe as a 1,500-year-old 'magical papyrus' that was discovered near the pyramid of the Pharaoh Senwosret I.

The text dates to a time when Christianity was widely practiced in Egypt.The unnamed person(s) who wrote the incantations in Coptic, an Egyptian language that uses the Greek alphabet, invoked God many times.

God - Seth - God - Abraham - God

"God of Seth, God of Abraham, God of Isaac, God of Jacob, God of Israel, watch over everyone who suffers. My word, may it come to pass with power," reads part of the translated papyrus.

What's weird in science news this week? A mummified monkey, the risk of night owl habits, and sperm on the International Space Station.

May - Spirit - Air - Papyrus - User

"May every spirit that is in the air obey me," the papyrus user asks God.

The Book of Genesis says that God stopped Isaac before he actually sacrificed his son. However in this papyrus the story is described in such a way that it sounds as if the sacrifice wasn't stopped wrote Zellmann-Rohrer noting that other texts from the ancient world also claim that the sacrifice was completed. "The tradition of a literal sacrifice seems in fact to have been rather widespread," Zellmann-Rohrer wrote.

Papyrus - Expedition - New - York - Metropolitan

The papyrus was uncovered during a 1934 expedition by New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, the papyrus is now at the Met but had never been deciphered or detailed in a scientific journal until now.

"The text surely belongs to a Coptic phase of habitation at the pyramid...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Live Science
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I love to post, but I never read the article!