What a Good Sermon Introduction Looks Like and What it Does

ChurchLeaders | 4/16/2018 | Staff
ashb0101 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/4.17.CC.HOME_.SermonIntriduction.jpg

I said to a pastor friend, “I wonder if you’d allow me to offer a tiny word of criticism on last Sunday’s sermon.” He sat up straight and beamed. “I’d welcome a criticism!”

I said, “You jumped off into the deep end of the pool with us. Within two minutes after you began the sermon we were in over our heads. That makes it hard on a congregation to keep up and follow you.”

He kept listening.

“How much better to wade out in the shallow end at first. Let us adjust to the water temperature and see where you are going with this message. Gradually take us into the deep.”

Thought - Fellow - One - Criticism - Suggestions

He welcomed the thought and proved once again what I already knew—what a terrific fellow he is. One doesn’t abruptly offer criticism or suggestions without confidence that the recipient will welcome it.

Story One.

Fellow - Trial - Murder - Body - Point

This fellow was on trial for murder, although the body of the deceased had never been found. At one point, the defendant’s lawyer made a startling announcement. “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, if you will put your attention on those doors in the rear, in exactly 15 seconds, the person my client is accused of murdering will walk into this courtroom!” Everyone turned to the doors and counted off the seconds. The time came and went. The defense attorney said, “While it is true that the man did not walk through those doors, please notice that every one of you turned and looked, expecting him to do so. That shows reasonable doubt about my client’s guilt. And if there is reasonable doubt, you must acquit!” A short time later, the jury retired to deliberate. Within 10 minutes, they were back. The judge asked if they had reached a verdict. “We have, your honor. We find the defendant guilty as...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!