Series Mania: ’Hostages’’ Alon Aranya, ‘Red Widow’s’ Pieter Bart Re-Team on ‘Atrocity’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Variety | 4/16/2018 | Jamie Lang
Click For Photo: http://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/pieter-bart-and-alon.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Veteran drama series writer-producer Alon Aranya (“Hostages,” “Betrayal”) and writer Pieter Bart (“Black Widow,” “Red Widow”) have teamed on “Atrocity,” a courtroom drama with a global twist, set in The Hague’s International Criminal Court.

The two will pitch the series at this year’s Series Mania CoPro Pitching Sessions.

Aranya - Bart - Black - Widow - Holland

Aranya and Bart previously worked together on “Black Widow,” one of Holland’s most well-respected series, later remade in the U.S. as “Red Widow.” Sometime after the “Widow” series had wrapped, the writers met for a coffee in Amsterdam and discussed what was on the horizon for them.

“I told him I’d started developing this show about the International Criminal Court,” Aranya recalled in a conversation with Variety, “and he gave me this weird look and said: ‘That’s what I’m doing.’”

Time - Synopsis - Bible - Season - Pilot

It was clear to both of them that the time had come to team up once again. Since then, not only have they come up with a complete synopsis and bible for the first season, but finished a pilot script which is now making its way into the hands of European producers.

Before addressing the series’ specifics, Aranya first described the general thesis of the project, and a brief overview of the history of the ICC.

Lot - Countries - Part - Court - World

“In 2002 a lot of countries signed up to be part of the Court, but some major world powers didn’t,” he explained, “One of the countries that didn’t was the U.S. Others were Russia, Israel and China. The list goes on.”

That declared non-involvement is where the series lays its foundations.

Countries - Part - Court

“While some countries are not an official part of the Court,” he...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!