Overcoming the New Leadership Epidemic — Isolation and Loneliness

ChurchLeaders | 4/16/2018 | Staff
shuadah (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/4.17.CC.HOME_.IsolationLoneliness.jpg

I talk to a growing number of leaders who ask for advice—very personal advice.

They ask me questions like Should I stay in this church or move on? or I’m struggling with my elder board, is it time for me to leave? These are really big questions, and they’re situation-specific. As you can imagine, it’s almost impossible for me to answer the question because I don’t know the leader, I don’t know the church and I don’t know the situation in any detail. Even a 17-paragraph email or a 30-minute phone call wouldn’t give me enough context to truly weigh in, because the situation is so specific and the stakes are so high.

Advice - Leaders - Scriptures - Wise - People

So my advice is always the same. I tell leaders, “First I would pray about it and search the scriptures. But then I would find two to five wise people who know you well, who love God, who aren’t afraid to tell you the truth, who love you and love the church/organization you’re a part of, and I would see what they have to say.”

You know what I hear back after I say that? Usually silence. Not like “thanks, that’s exactly what I’m going to do” kind of silence. I mean crickets. Which I think means they don’t have that circle around them.

Occasion - Leader - Group - People

And on the odd occasion when I do hear back, I often hear that the leader doesn’t have a group of people locally who can help.

That breaks my heart.

Paradox - Culture - Today

The paradox of our culture is this: We’ve never been better connected than we are today. And we’ve never felt more alone.

So many of us have a thousand friends online, but nobody to talk to (at a deep level) in real life. Loneliness has become a modern epidemic.

United - Kingdom - Minister - Loneliness

Early in 2018, the United Kingdom appointed a minister of loneliness. As...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!