What Apple’s education announcements mean for accessibility

TechCrunch | 3/31/2018 | Jonathan Shieber
gemini2323 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/screen-shot-2018-04-01-at-11-04-38-am.png?w=736

Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/screen-shot-2018-04-01-at-11-04-38-am.png

Steven Aquino is a freelance tech writer and iOS accessibility expert.

From an accessibility news standpoint, this week’s Apple event in Chicago was antithetical to the October 2016 event. At the latter event, Apple began the presentation with a bang — showing the actual video being edited using Switch Control in Final Cut. Tim Cook came out afterwards to talk some about Apple’s commitment to serving the disabled community before unveiling the then-new accessibility page on the company’s website.

Contrast - Event - Chicago - Week - Mention

By contrast, the education-themed event in Chicago this week went by with barely a mention of accessibility. The only specific call-out came during Greg Joswiak’s time on stage talking about iPad, when he said “accessibility features make iPad a learning tool for everyone.”

That doesn’t mean, however, accessibility has no relevance to what was announced.

Audience - Lane - Tech - College - Prep

I was in the audience at Lane Tech College Prep on Tuesday covering the event. As a former special educator –and special education student — I watched with keen interest as Apple told their story around education. While Apple is targeting the mainstream, I came away with strong impressions on how Apple can make serious inroads in furthering special education as well.

Apple is obviously—rightfully—building their educational strategy towards mainstream students in mainstream classes. It’s a classic top-down approach: Teachers assign students work via handouts, for such activities as writing essays or completing science projects. This is the entire reason for Apple’s Classroom and Schoolwork apps. However well-designed, they lack an element.

Nothing - Terms - Teachers - Students - Education

Where they lack is there is nothing afforded, at least in specific terms, to teachers and students in special education settings. Apple’s strategy here is defined, again, by the classic teacher-student relationship, without any regard for other models. I’m not levying a criticism on the company; this is the reality.

At many levels, special education classrooms do not function in a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!