'Everyone feels like they're a critic': Misty Copeland doubles down on response to those who slammed her Swan Lake performance after she failed to complete the ballet's famed 32 fouette turns

Mail Online | 4/1/2018 | Clemence Michallon For Dailymail.com
eymira (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/04/01/16/4ABE9F6200000578-0-image-a-3_1522595480823.jpg

Misty Copeland has doubled down on her response to those who criticized her performance in Swan Lake after she failed to perform the ballet's famously tricky 32 fouette turns—suggesting that in ballet, too, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The ballerina, 35, performed in Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's ballet earlier this month in Singapore. She danced the part of Odile, which includes a famous sequence that sees Odile completes 32 fouette turns.

Fouette - Turns - Dancer - Ground - Pointe

Those 32 fouette turns, during which with one of the dancer's legs never touches the ground and propels her as she spins around on pointe, are considered to be one of the hardest, most challenging sequences in ballet.

Instead of completing the 32 turns, Misty did 12, before filling up the rest of the allotted time with an alternative choreography.

Performance - Person - Ballet - Theatre - Misty

Some proceeded to slam her performance, branding it 'terrible', with one person declaring it reflects reflects 'very poorly' on the American Ballet Theatre, for which Misty is a principal dancer.

Misty responded to her critics on social media, sharing a link to a video of her performance on Instagram and explaining she was 'a work in progress' and 'by no means the best in ballet'.

Issue - Cosmopolitan - Viewers - Prowess - Artistry

She has now addressed the issue once more, telling Cosmopolitan some viewers are bound to focus on technical prowess, rather than on the artistry of a performance.

'I just try not to get caught up in reviews and reading things on the internet because they don't know you and people don't know your journey and I think that especially in America, especially in New York, when people come to see ballet, I think everyone kind of feels like they're a critic,' she told the magazine.

Misty - Imperfection - View - Part - Beauty

Misty insisted that imperfection, in her view, plays an important part in shaping the beauty of ballet—even if some viewers might not see it...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A slice out of infinity