Five-0's Alex O'Loughlin Talks Directing Debut, Creating a 'Young' Scott Caan and Turning Hawaii Into Newark

TVLine | 3/27/2018 | Matt Webb Mitovich
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/hawaii-five-o-alex-oloughlin-director.jpg?w=620

Just when you thought you’d seen Alex O’Loughlin do it all as Hawaii Five-0‘s brave and bold Steve McGarrett, the series lead has a new trick up his sleeve — making his directorial debut with this week’s episode.

In “To Do One’s Duty” (airing Friday at 9/8c, CBS), the ex-wife of the man who shot Danny (back in the Dec. 15 episode) comes to Oahu, teeing up flashbacks that detail how Danny’s actions back when he was in New Jersey helped save her life. Elsewhere, Tani and Junior walk the beat as uniformed officers for a day, while Adam is framed for the murder of the crime boss he has been tracking.

Lot - O'Loughlin - Occasion

There’s a lot going on, to be sure, but O’Loughlin was ready to rise to the occasion.

TVLINE | By my math, the last cast member to direct was Daniel Dae Kim back in Season 5. What made you decide that the time was right?

While - Couple - Things - Schedule - Actor

I’ve wanted to direct for a while, but there were a couple of things that made it possible. My schedule as an actor on this show has progressively gotten a little better over time; [previously] I’ve sort of been in everything all the time and not had any days off to even think, let alone prep an episode and direct. Even this season it was cutting it kind of fine; most people get a week to prep-and-scout and do all this stuff, while I had two days. But it’s definitely something I’ve wanted to do the whole time and I’m really glad I did.

TVLINE | What’s nice is they didn’t just give you three storylines to juggle within the episode, but they’re each tonally different. Tani/Junior are played a bit for comedy, the investigation into Adam’s framing for murder gets intense, and Danny’s backstory is pretty emotional.

Right....
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
An enemy of death and destruction