Remote Controlled: ‘Roseanne’ Cast on Keeping the Comedy ‘Real’

Variety | 3/23/2018 | Debra Birnbaum
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/roseanne-sara-gilbert.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Welcome to “Remote Controlled,” a podcast from Variety featuring the best and brightest in television, both in front of and behind the camera.

In this week’s episode, Variety‘s executive editor of TV, Debra Birnbaum, talks with the stars of “Roseanne” about why they wanted to revive the classic sitcom.

Sara - Gilbert - Darlene - Architects - Reunion

Sara Gilbert, who plays the sarcastic Darlene, was one of the architects of the reunion, which was sparked when John Goodman visited her chatfest “The Talk.”

Paramount for Gilbert — and all of the cast — was keeping the integrity of the original series. “We got to address really important issues through the family relationships and through the comedy,” says Gilbert. “It really wasn’t ever hitting people over the head with a message or trying to convince anybody of anything. … So we wanted to tackle the issues of today through the family dynamic and through the humor of the show.”

Issues - America - Gilbert - People - Way

Among those issues was aging in America, says Gilbert: “I thought we could reach people in a way that other shows couldn’t.”

Gilbert says stepping back into the character after so many years was easier than she expected. “I know exactly where she lives in my body,” she says. “I don’t have to think about it. … But I’ve changed a lot over the years, and so I think Darlene is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!