Isn’t It Loving to My Family to Prepare for Doomsday?

Desiring God | 3/23/2018 | John Piper
lukealukea (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/isn-t-it-loving-to-my-family-to-prepare-for-doomsday-xiqczzs4-en/landscape/isn-t-it-loving-to-my-family-to-prepare-for-doomsday-xiqczzs4-607f9e29a0ff9cac95c8944519432daf.jpg?ts=1521049141&ixlib=rails-2.1.4&w=800&h=450&auto=format,compress&fit=min

Today we return to the theme of doomsday prepping, a follow-up from a listener named Matt. “Pastor John, hello! It seemed to me that your response in episode 1118 — ‘On Preparing for a Nuclear Doomsday’ — was all predicated on the assumption that anybody who prepares for a possible disaster does so out of self-preservation. As a father and husband, I have intentionally put myself in situations that caused extended periods of great personal discomfort and danger of injury and death for what I believed was the good of others. I say this not to puff myself up, because I certainly have strains of cowardice within me, but to make the point that some degree of preparedness for possible disaster may be from a desire to protect the people I am charged by God with protecting.

“In your book ‘This Momentary Marriage’ you say it is a husband’s duty to protect his wife, physically and spiritually. I have no great compulsion to preserve my own life, because I can honestly say with Paul ‘to live is Christ and to die is gain’ (Philippians 1:21). But if ever I found myself in a situation where the people I love are suffering, when I could have prevented it, I would feel like I have failed in my God-given responsibility to protect their physical well-being. Is this wrong?”

Question - Responsibility - People - Answer

Let me restate the question: Have I failed in my God-given responsibility if the people I love are suffering when I could have prevented it? The answer is “not necessarily.”

It is possible indeed that you have been careless in some way and have brought down suffering upon your family for no good reason except your own carelessness, selfishness, or foolishness. That’s possible.

Everybody - Thoughtlessness - Carelessness - Selfishness - Foolishness

Everybody would agree that thoughtlessness, carelessness, selfishness, and foolishness that results in people being hurt...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: