Torture Again: Why It Is Always Wrong and More

Roger E. Olson | 3/18/2018 | Staff
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/rogereolson/files/2017/01/wVlfnlTbRtK8eGvbnBZI_VolkanOlmez_005_opt.jpg

I know that I have written about torture here before, so some of you long-time readers of my blog may be bored with the subject. But it has been quite a long time since I wrote about it. And there’s a specific reason for this new post about the subject.

According to the news agency’s wire story (picked up and republished in my local newspaper) the new head of the CIA once operated (oversaw) a secret prison in Asia where suspected terrorists were tortured—which would have been illegal in the U.S. and its dependencies.

News - Junkies - Controversy - Prisons - Intelligence

News junkies especially will remember the controversy over these secret prisons set up and used by American intelligence people in the aftermath of the “9-11” attack on the Twin Towers in New York and on the Pentagon in Washington, D.C.

What was practiced in these secret prisons was called “enhanced interrogation techniques,” not “torture.” But most of us who read about them called them torture. I certainly would call them that. When the news media published this, many Americans groaned with sadness and disgust—including yours truly. To me, torture of anyone is a first step down the road to barbarity.

Why?

Here, for purposes of this particular argument, I am not going to appeal specifically to Christian ethical norms; I will only say that if I were pastor of a person who engaged in torture of another human being (or even of an animal) I would confront him or her and ask him or her to stop, repent, and undergo a restoration process. Torture is so obviously contrary to Christian love that it cannot be justified under any circumstances.

Addition - Christian - Love - Reasons - Torture

However, in addition to Christian love, there are excellent, powerful secular reasons why torture is always, unconditionally wrong and even evil.

First, however, something else needs to be pointed out about this specific action...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Roger E. Olson
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: