Life After ‘Idol’: How Going Indie Paved Scotty McCreery’s Path to a No. 1 Country Hit

Variety | 3/17/2018 | Chris Willman
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/scotty-mccreery.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

It took “Five More Minutes” to prove that Scott McCreery’s 15 minutes weren’t up. That’s the name of the single that this month brought him his first No. 1 chart success at country radio, a mere seven years after he got voted No. 1 on season 10 of “American Idol.”

In between, it looked like McCreery might slowly fade off the radar without ever landing a significant hit, despite the instant liking country fans had taken to him back in the early-2010s day. So yes, let’s call it a comeback, even if the singer America came to know as a preternaturally mature-sounding 17-year-old is still just 24.

Thing - McCreery - Press - Winner - Dinner

One thing that’s definitely different from when McCreery was first doing press as a newly minted teen winner: At dinner, he’s the one peppering the waiter with questions about the wines. Variety caught up with him over a nice bottle of red while he was in L.A. to shoot a mentoring spot on the “Idol” reboot, and on the eve of the release of his new album, “Seasons Change.” His high spirits were in contrast to the funk he was in the last time he had a guest shot on “Idol,” two years ago, for reasons he’ll explain.

Life After 'Idol': Allison Iraheta on Her Musical 'Art Project,' Singing Backup on 'Despacito'

Idol - Heads - Amazon - Prime - Video

‘American Idol’ Heads to Amazon Prime Video in the U.K.

Variety: How was it, being back on the “Idol” set?

McCreery - Time - Finale - Season - Deal

Scotty McCreery: The last time I mentored, during the “finale” season, I had just lost my deal [with Universal Music Group]. This time I mentored right as I was finding out I just got the first No. 1 single I ever had. It’s a pretty crazy contrast here in the last two years.

You found out you’d been dropped from your record label right as you were filming...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!