Did God Write the Story You Didn’t Want?

Desiring God | 3/16/2018 | Vaneetha Rendall Risner
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/when-god-writes-your-story-in-a-way-you-didn-t-want-6yyucvqy-en/landscape/when-god-writes-your-story-in-a-way-you-didn-t-want-6yyucvqy-5939e71d9242168d801b4dcbce11f3c0.jpg?ts=1520538085&ixlib=rails-2.1.4&w=800&h=450&auto=format,compress&fit=min

Have you ever looked around at your life and assumed that nothing is ever going to get better? That the hard things will just get harder and the good things might disappear? That there’s no point in hoping anymore because it will only lead to disappointment?

I have.

Husband - Family - Years - Daughters - Family

When my husband left our family nine years ago, my adolescent daughters and I were reeling. We never imagined we’d be a splintered family. All we knew were unbroken families, and suddenly we weren’t in that group any more.

We struggled to find our identity together and establish our new normal. I didn’t like the way my life story was unfolding, and I mourned what I had lost. In my mind, intact families had kids who were drawn to God. They laughed together and talked around the dinner table. They whispered heartfelt prayers at night and respected their parents’ authority.

Family - Things - Point - Daughters - Nothing

Our family didn’t do those things anymore. At one point, both of my daughters wanted nothing to do with God. God had let them down. They didn’t want to trust him again.

And yet last fall, my oldest daughter Katie left for a year to serve the Lord in Africa. Eight years ago, serving Jesus would have been unthinkable to her. Eight years ago, God wasn’t real to her any more. Eight years ago, she almost walked away from faith.

Sunday - Church - Sermon - Joseph - Pastor

On the Sunday that her church commissioned her, the sermon was on Joseph. The pastor said, “Don’t be so focused on what God has taken from you that you can’t see or believe that God will do something through you.”

Those words hit me hard. He went on to quote from Paul Miller’s powerful book, A Praying Life, “When confronted with suffering that won’t go away, or with even a minor problem, we instinctively focus on what is missing,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: