School that banned 80s-inspired 'Meet Me At McDonald's' hairstyle as part of a no nonsense crackdown is praised by Ofsted for 'significant' improvement in pupil behaviour

Mail Online | 3/15/2018 | Lara Keay For Mailonline
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/03/15/13/4A37734400000578-0-image-a-65_1521119405750.jpg

A school that gained notoriety for banning an 80s-inspired hairstyle called 'Meet Me At McDonalds' and putting a limit on students' bedtimes has been praised by Ofsted.

The Charter Academy in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, has proved controversial since it took over Great Yarmouth High School in September 2017.

New - Headteacher - Barry - Smith - Headlines

New headteacher Barry Smith hit the headlines last month after sending a letter home to parents banning the flamboyant haircut for male pupils.

After the Inspiration academy trust took over last September, pupils were also banned from using mobile phones at school, ordered to walk in single file to lessons, be asleep by 9.30pm and up by 6.30am every day.

Ofsted - Inspection - February - Improvement - Behaviour

But an unannounced Ofsted inspection on February 21 has revealed a 'significant' improvement in pupil behaviour.

Mr Smith introduced strict rules to encourage positive change after the school was rated inadequate by the schools regulator in October 2016.

GCSE - Results - Inspectors - Decline - Misconduct

It had previously reported some of the worst GCSE results, but inspectors have now found a 'considerable decline of serious misconduct' since the measures were introduced.

Ofsted inspector Jason Howard said staff and pupils attributed the improvements to the new behaviour policy introduced by new headteacher Mr Smith.

'All - Number - Pupils - Inspectors - School

He wrote: 'All of the large number of pupils who spoke with inspectors said that they now feel safe at school.

'Pupils moved around the school site in an orderly manner and behaved very politely and respectfully to their peers and to adults.

'They - Uniform - Pride - Lessons

'They wore their uniform with pride, arrived at lessons promptly, and settled down to learning quickly.

'In all lessons visited, learning took place in a calm and orderly environment.

'Relationships - Pupils - Teachers - Pupils - Confidence

'Relationships between pupils and teachers were positive, and consequently pupils had the confidence to ask and to answer questions.

'Pupils behaved well, both when interacting with their teachers and when working on their own.

Result - Tasks

'As a result, they worked hard, completing tasks...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
An enemy of death and destruction