Mélanie Laurent on Galveston, Affordable Song Rights and Directors (Not) Working with Actors at SXSW 2018

Filmmaker Magazine | 3/14/2018 | Matt Mulcahey
Click For Photo: https://filmmakermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/galveston-628x348.jpg

by Matt Mulcahey

in Columns, Directors, Festivals & Events, Interviews, SXSW

Plot - Run - New - Orleans - Mobster

The Plot: On the run from a New Orleans mobster (Beau Bridges), a dying hit man (Ben Foster) and a sex worker (Elle Fanning) hit the road for the titular location. Based on the novel by True Detective author Nic Pizzolatto.

The Interviewee: Writer/director Mélanie Laurent. This is the French filmmaker’s first English-language feature as director. As an actress, she has appeared in Inglorious ****, Beginners and By the Sea.

Filmmaker - Quote - Press - Notes - Something

Filmmaker: There’s an interesting quote from you in the press notes that says something like “This is a story that maybe wasn’t meant for me, but I was able to make it my own.”

Laurent: Did I say that?

Filmmaker - Idea - Press - Notes - Alright

Filmmaker: I have no idea. (laughs) The press notes say you did. Alright, let’s try this — what appealed to you about Nic Pizzolatto’s story and how did you inject your personality into the script?

Laurent: As an actress or as a director, the only way I can work is instinctually. I read the original script and just started picturing the movie. I was so surprised that I could picture such violent scenes and I was surprised that I connected with such an American story. I fell in love with so many of the details and with the character of Rocky (Fanning). When I finished the script I said, “I don’t know why, but this is for me.” What I did want to do is develop Rocky’s character a little bit more. I wanted her to be a real character, not just a baby doll who is being sexy all the time.

Filmmaker - Savannah - Georgia - Texas - Louisiana

Filmmaker: You shot this mainly around Savannah, Georgia, but you scouted Texas and Louisiana as well. Had you ever been to that part of the country before?

Laurent: Not at all. The first scouting trip...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Filmmaker Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!