Seven thousand pairs of shoes are placed in front of the US Capitol to remember children killed by gun violence since Sandy Hook massacre

Mail Online | 3/13/2018 | Mary Kekatos For
max1max1 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo:

Click For Video:

Thousands of pairs of shoes were placed on the lawn in front of the US Capitol on Tuesday to mark every child who has been killed due to gun violence since the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre.

According to global advocacy group Avaaz, which organized the protests, 7,000 pairs of shoes were collected for the 'Monument for our Kids' memorial to bring 'the heartbreak of gun violence to Congress' doorstep'.

Shoes - Week - Period - Families - Children

Though most of the shoes were collected in a two week period, some were donated by families who lost their children to gun violence.

The organization also said that some celebrities donated shoes as well, including Chelsea Handler, Alyssa Milano, Bette Midler, and Susan Sarandon.

Parents - Protest - Tuesday - Tom - Mauser

One of the parents who attended the protest on Tuesday was Tom Mauser, whose 15-year-old son Daniel was killed in the 1999 Columbine shooting.

He wore the gray Vans his son was wearing when he was shot.

DC - Son - Daniel - Shoes - Ones

'I'll be traveling to DC literally wearing my son Daniel's shoes, the ones he wore the day he died at Columbine,' Mauser said in a press release before the event.

'I think this kind of event with shoes offers a very powerful metaphor both for how we miss the victims who once filled those shoes, and also for how we see ourselves wanting to walk in their place, seeking change, so that others don't have to walk this painful journey.'

Event organizers claimed the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Goverment, no matter how big, is always a big problem.