Here are some real things people said about brain preservation startup Nectome

TechCrunch | 3/13/2018 | Anthony Ha
ArceusArceus (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo:

Regular TechCrunch readers have probably noticed an uptick in Y Combinator-related profiles over the last few days, as founders rush to get press coverage before next week’s Demo Day. Today, the MIT Technology Review gave us the details of one of the most ambitious and science fictional-sounding ones yet.

There’s one big catch, as explained by co-founder Robert McIntyre to the Technology Review: The procedure is “100 percent fatal.” He added, “That is why we are uniquely situated among the Y Combinator companies.”

Brain - Body

Now you might be thinking, sure, if they’re going to preserve my brain, then they’ll need to remove it from my body … after I’m dead, right?

Not quite. Instead, to ensure freshness, Nectome plans to connect terminally ill patients (under anesthesia) to a heart lung machine that will pump embalming chemicals into their arteries — and, as mentioned, it’s not a process that you survive.

User - Experience - Suicide - McIntyre

“The user experience will be identical to physician-assisted suicide,” McIntyre said.

How far along are McIntyre and his cofounder Michael McCanna? Well, they’ve purchased and preserved the brain of a recently-deceased woman. And McIntyre’s research in preserving pig brains has also won a prize from the Brain Preservation Foundation.

Foundation - Founder - Ken - Hayworth - Someone

The foundation’s founder, neuroscientist Ken Hayworth, said that digitally recreating someone’s consciousness from a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A pox on both their houses!