New Blu-ray Releases: ‘Justice League’, ‘Call Me By Your Name’, ‘I, Tonya,’ ‘The Age of Innocence’ and More

/Film | 3/13/2018 | Chris Evangelista
Click For Photo: http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/pjimage-8.jpg

Welcome back to another Blu-ray round-up. There’s something for everyone here! The comic-book bombast of Justice League; the romanticism of Call Me By Your Name; a Martin Scorsese masterpiece in the form of The Age of Innocence; indie comedy courtesy of The Disaster Artist and I, Tonya; the ’80s charm of Joe Dante’s The ‘Burbs; and, uh, Downsizing!

Here are the new Blu-ray releases and their special features you should check out this week, and beyond.

Justice - League - Ship - DCEU - Times

Justice League tried very hard to right the capsized ship that is the DCEU. It didn’t succeed. At times, though, the film is almost interesting enough to work. The opening scene, featuring an aw-shucks Superman conversing with some kids, is the first time the DCEU got the Man of Steel right in over three films. And Ezra Miller’s comedic take on the Flash is a hoot.

More often than not, however, Justice League succumbs to behind-the-scenes issues. Zack Snyder left the project and was replaced by Joss Whedon. While Whedon was hand-picked by Snyder, the two filmmakers are nothing alike, and their styles clash constantly. The end result is a schizophrenic tale that jumps from being comedic to dreary and then back again. Worse than that, the big action set pieces – which should be the main draw for a film like this – are lackluster and un-exciting.

Premise - Batman - Ben - Affleck - Wonder

The premise has Batman (Ben Affleck) and Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) gathering up a team of heroes to do battle with Steppenwolf, perhaps the worst comic book bad guy in movie history. Along the way, the team raises Henry Cavill’s Superman from the dead. A film in which the Flash digs up a grave and cracks a Pet Sematary joke should be at least entertaining, but Justice League falters.

Warner Bros. and their DC films can still recover. Patty Jenkins’ Wonder...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!