Expanding Our Repertoire

Biblical Counseling Coalition | 1/26/2018 | Pat Quinn
josh567 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://biblicalcounselingcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Repertoire.jpg

The Lord God has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him who is weary (Isaiah 50:4a).

Counseling is essentially about helping people learn and live out God’s wisdom. This wisdom is imparted in Christ (1 Cor. 1:30), by the Holy Spirit (Isa. 11:2), through the Scriptures (2 Tim. 3: 15). Our ministry as counselors is to help people connect God’s wisdom to the everyday realities of their lives so that their biblical theology profoundly changes their inner psychology and lifestyle. It stands to reason that the better we know the whole counsel of God the more able we will be to make relevant connections to specific people and issues.

Bible - Years - Repertoire - Passages - Counseling

While I have read and studied the Bible for over forty years, I still think the repertoire of biblical passages I use in counseling is too small. I suspect this is true for many counselors. So, in my counseling training I have shared thirty-five selected passages with the goal of expanding our biblical counseling repertoire. A couple of years ago, I went through several of these passages to draw out and write down reflections and counseling applications. What follows is the list of passages with a brief description and then an example of thinking through counseling implications from one passage. My hope is that this might stir us up to expand our biblical repertoire of counseling passages.

Psalm 22—My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?

Psalm - Man - Counsel - Way - Sinners

Psalm 1: Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Biblical Counseling Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't touch that, you don't know where it's been.
Tagged: