Couple driven to the brink of divorce by their violent eight-year-old son's fits of kicking, punching and BITING call in an expert to help - who finds the key to solving his issues in his sketches

Mail Online | 3/13/2018 | Natalie Corner For Mailonline
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/03/13/17/4A2803B700000578-0-image-a-18_1520960412396.jpg

A couple driven to the brink of divorce by their struggle to control their eight-year-old son's violent rages were finally able to reconnect after getting to the bottom of his behaviour issues - with a little help from his drawing book.

Adrian, 46, and wife Emma, 37, who live on Barry Island, South Wales, parents to Sorel, 11, and eight-year-old Ioan, told how his outbursts often turned bedtime into a six hour-long ordeal.

Behaviour - Parents - Kicking - Biting - Bruises

His aggressive behaviour often saw him lashing out at his parents, kicking, biting and punching until they were covered in painful bruises and teeth marks.

Child psychologist Laverne Antrobus, who visited the family for Tuesday night's episode of Channel 5's Violent Child, Desperate Parents, was astonished when she witnessed how Emma resorted to physically restraining her screaming son in a bid to calm him down.

Laverne - Adrian - Emma - Key - Ioan

Laverne told Adrian and Emma how an important key to understanding Ioan, who has a developmental age of three, lay in his drawings of his family, which showed him standing between his parents, with his mother looming large and his father at a distance.

The psychologist explained how it indicated that Ioan was 'stuck' in a developmental phase where 'mummy belongs to me', and told the couple it was essential they work as a team to bring his behaviour under control.

Ioan - Drawings - Wall - Parents - Mother

One of Ioan's drawings up on the wall showed him standing between his parents, and not only had he drawn his mother larger than his father, he had made her central to the family by sketching his father at a distance - almost at the edge of the drawing paper.

Laverne explained what it implied: 'He is stuck in a developmental phase where "mummy belongs to me and daddy can sit in the corner".

Psychologist

'I know as a psychologist it is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!