National School Walkout planned by students worldwide after Parkland shooting

Fox News | 3/13/2018 | Kaitlyn Schallhorn
applecup (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://a57.foxnews.com/media2.foxnews.com/BrightCove/694940094001/2018/03/12/0/0/694940094001_5749854286001_5749853651001-vs.jpg?ve=1

Who, what, when, where: What to know about the nationwide protest on March 14 following the deadly Parkland school shooting in Florida.

When news of the Parkland school shooting first broke, it resonated with 17-year-old Naomi Giancola.

Junior - Midwood - High - School - Brooklyn

A junior at Midwood High School in Brooklyn, New York – some 1,200 miles away from Marjory Stoneman Douglas, the Florida high school where a gunman murdered 17 students and faculty on Feb. 14 – Giancola immediately thought the tragedy could have easily happened at her own school.

“It really hit home because I’m in high school. That could have been my school, that could have been my friends, that could have been me that was shot or running away,” Giancola told Fox News.

Madeline - Paterna - Giancola - School - National

So along with 16-year-old Madeline Paterna, Giancola arranged for her school to participate in the National School Walkout, a protest led by students demanding action against gun violence, on March 14 – one month after the Parkland school shooting.

“It was really scary to think that could have been us, and I just wanted to do something because I don’t want it to happen again," Giancola said.

National - School - Walkout

What is the National School Walkout?

For at least 17 minutes at 10 a.m. across each time zone on March 14, students, school faculty and supporters around the world will walk out of their schools to honor those killed in the massacre at the Parkland high school earlier this year and to protest gun violence.

Orange - Color - Gun - Control - Schools

Those participating are encouraged to wear orange – the color used by many who support gun control. And some schools will even have featured speakers attend the event.

Those at Midwood High will gather at a nearby park to have a moment of silence as the names of the 17 Parkland victims are read aloud. There will also be an opportunity for those to share...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Fox News
Wake Up To Breaking News!