The Car Dyke is an eighty mile artificial water channel, thought to have been constructed by the Romans from the first century AD, during the reign of Emperor Hadrian. The Dyke runs along the western edge of the fens from the River Cam near Cambridge all the way to the River Witham, just south of Lincoln. Many stretches are protected as a scheduled ancient monument.
There seems to be a number of reasons as to why the Romans constructed Car Dyke. It may have been a way of providing drainage or a defensible boundary like Hadrian’s Wall, or a canal to transport goods. There seems to be no single account that can explain the full length. Even so, along with Hadrian’s Wall it was most certainly one of the greatest engineering feats carried out in Britain by the engineers of the Roman Empire, who ruled country for almost 400 years from 43AD to 410AD.
William - Stukeley - Idea - Car - Dyke
It was William Stukeley that came up with the idea that Car Dyke was a canal in the 18th century. Born in Holbeach, William Stukeley (7 November 1687 – 3 March 1765) was an English antiquarian who pioneered the archaeological investigation of Stonehenge and Avebury. He surmised that the purpose of the canal was to supply the Roman Armies of the north with grain and food from Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire with drainage as a secondary function, a view which still perpetuates until today.
In 1958 a large quantity of Roman tiles was found between Star Pit and the north-east of Clay Lane and in 1963 a Roman coin dating from the time of Nero was found when a new house was being built on Peterborough Road, just a few metres south of the dyke.
Trust - Lincolnshire - Archaeology - Part - Lincolnshire
In 1989 the Trust for Lincolnshire Archaeology investigated of part of the Lincolnshire section of Car...
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Democrate or Republican, the difference is less than the thickness of a cigarette paper, or a slice of pastrami at a delicatesean.