'It’s hit very close to home. We had a wonderful working relationship': Katie Couric claims she didn't know about co-host Matt Lauer's serial sexual harassment but hopes the disgraced TODAY anchor has learned his lesson

Mail Online | 3/13/2018 | Germania Rodriguez For Dailymail.com
fofo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/03/12/22/4A21CF9B00000578-0-image-a-7_1520894579459.jpg

Katie Couric had no idea that her former co-host Matt Lauer was a serial sexual harasser, as it's been claimed, the veteran journalist said.

During a chat at TheWrap's Power Women Breakfast in Austin on Sunday, Couric, 61, said she was shocked when Lauer was fired from the Today show, which he headed for 20 years - 15 of those alongside Couric.

'We - Working - Relationship - Editor-in-Chief - Sharon

'We had a wonderful working relationship,' she told Editor-in-Chief Sharon Waxman.

'It's shocking, honestly, and disturbing, disorienting, disheartening — all of those d-words.

Lauer - Behavior - Knowledge - NBC - Couric

As to how she could have failed to notice Lauer's behavior, which is said to have been common knowledge at NBC, Couric replied that it's not rare for co-workers to miss that kind of thing.

She explained: 'I don't think people paid much attention to it. In my case, it was something I was unaware of because if you talk to experts about this, people are very proficient at being secretive about certain behavior and making sure people don't witness certain behaviors.'

Couric - Harassment - Work - Place - News

Couric also said that although she's seen sexual harassment in the work place before, news of Lauer's behavior hit her particularly hard.

'I certainly dealt with sexist environments and environments that marginalized and didn’t give women their due, and didn’t treat women as intellectual equals, but it’s hit very close to home with Matt Lauer and what happened there,' she shared.

Lauer - NBC - November - Women - Today

Lauer was fired by NBC last November after multiple women reported being harassed by the Today show star, who earned $20 million a year. They claimed he exposed himself, made comments of a sexual nature, and kept sex toys in his office - as well as a button on his deck...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!