Rookie Crypto Investors Look Past Risks, Flock To London Show | 2/14/2018 | Staff
townskey13 (Posted by) Level 3
LONDON (Reuters) – Dozens of stallholders, pitching anything from a happy retirement to commercial property to the future of electronics, set up shop in central London last weekend to pitch their wares.

The companies and their salesmen were not there to part ways with the actual product, however. They just wanted to encourage buying into the digital coin craze that is raising billions of dollars.

Organizers - Britain - Crypto - Investor - Show

At what organizers claimed to be Britain’s first large-scale “Crypto Investor Show”, attendees were looking to get in on the next initial coin offering (ICO).

The talk of Silicon Valley, ICOs are a mostly unregulated funding mechanism for start-ups to raise capital by creating and then issuing their own virtual coins or tokens. Last year, they raised a record sum as interest in cryptocurrencies like bitcoin surged.

ICOs - Research - Thing - Shahzad - Anwar

“I came here to learn about ICOs. You have to do your research, but I would invest, it’s the upcoming thing,” said 30-year-old Shahzad Anwar, who installs electric charging points and had traveled down from the central England town of Solihull with his brother to attend.

“To me, stocks and shares and bonds are over, they are done,” he said, as attendees listened to a pitch at a nearby stall for an ICO wanting to raise tens of millions of dollars to build and race a supercar. Another promised to build a network of rest homes for the elderly.

Regulators - ICOs - Investors - Everything - Stocks

Regulators say ICOs are highly speculative and investors should be prepared to lose everything. Unlike stocks, most ICOs do not confer ownership rights in the underlying business, just the possibility that the tokens will be worth more in future.

Supporters say ICOs are revolutionizing the capital-raising industry, a crowdfunding alternative that gives ordinary people the chance to invest in start-ups, normally the preserve of the venture capitalist elite.

Online - Years

From circulating on tiny online chatrooms a few years...
(Excerpt) Read more at:
Wake Up To Breaking News!