SC woman who gouged out her own eyes believed ‘meth would bring me even closer to God’ | Charlotte Observer

charlotteobserver | 3/12/2018 | Staff
townskey13 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/2gufc6/picture204665859/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/kaylee?&imgtype=.jpg

A South Carolina woman who gouged out her own green eyes last month in a drug-fueled haze says she “convinced myself that meth would bring me even closer to God.”

Kaylee Muthart, 20, recounts her descent from National Honor Society member in Anderson, South Carolina, to high school dropout and methamphetamine user in an as-told-to article in Cosmopolitan magazine.

Path - Marijuana - Smoking - Meth - Mother

That path took her from using marijuana to taking ecstasy to smoking, then shooting, meth. Her mother was trying to get her involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility on Feb. 6, when Muthart’s world went dark.

That morning, after shooting up a large dose of meth the previous night, Muthart says she was hallucinating as she stumbled along a railroad track. Everything seemed dark and gloomy, she says, except for a white bird she believed she saw on a light post.

Story

Never miss a local story.

Dove - Muthart - Anderson - Independent - Mail

“I believed what was happening was real. I saw a dove,” Muthart told the Anderson Independent Mail. “It was a memory of something beautiful, a white bird in the light.”

In Cosmo, Muthart describes her rational for what she did next.

Someone - Something - World - Person - Article

“It was then I remember thinking that someone had to sacrifice something important to right the world, and that person was me,” she says in the article. “I thought everything would end abruptly, and everyone would die, if...
(Excerpt) Read more at: charlotteobserver
Wake Up To Breaking News!