You can stay in a dreamy castle in the French countryside — and it's cheaper than most hotels

Business Insider | 3/12/2018 | Melissa Kravitz, INSIDER
abbycraigabbycraig (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5aa692247708e956bd35a9da-750-375.jpg

Staying in a castle in France is as easy as booking a room online.

It's cheaper than or around the same price as a hotel, but it's a unique travel experience where you'll end up surrounded up impressive history.

Mount - Saint-Michel - La - Ballue - Stopover

Located near Mount Saint-Michel, La Ballue is a perfect overnight stopover.

When my fiance asked me if I wanted to stay in a castle for a night during our mini-road trip from Paris this past fall, the answer was a very affirmative yes. Obviously.

Tales - Princesses - Medieval - Grade - Fiction

Although I didn't grow up completely captivated by fairy tales or princesses or medieval middle grade fiction, the lure of grand real estate never fails to intrigue me. Add in some French history, and oui will always be my answer.

So we booked a night at Chateau La Ballue, a castle in the French countryside straddling Normandy and Brittany, which really means it's — as we Americans would say — in the middle of nowhere. Think somewhere between the Iowa and Idaho of France, if that helps.

Stay - Castle

Here's what our one-night stay in the castle was like.

The castle was beautifully decorated.

La - Ballue - Dusk - Gate - Stone

We arrived at La Ballue just before dusk, pulling up to the gate of the massive stone property in our rented Audi.

I dialed the call button on the box next to the cast iron gate, not knowing if whomever was on the other end would speak English. "Bon soir," I tried, "Nous somme ici." We are here. A garbled voice in I'm not sure which language responded, and the gates slowly, dramatically swung upon to make room for our car. Two large dogs, one black, one brown, came running out as well, unconsciously trying their best to imitate any Disney scene of entering a large, foreign castle.

Innkeeper - Car - Drooping - Tree

The innkeeper, seemingly younger than us, told us to park our car under a drooping tree in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Have you forgotten?