Finland Develops ‘Bounding’ Mine As Military Deterrence

www.oann.com | 3/8/2018 | Staff
ziggy1023 (Posted by) Level 3
HELSINKI (Reuters) – Finland is developing a remotely-detonated mine designed to deter enemies with its “horror”, the country’s defense minister said on Thursday, referring to a device that springs into the air and fires projectiles at its target when triggered.

Defence Minister Jussi Niinisto said the defense forces were developing the so-called bounding mine to replace landmines banned by a 1999 international treaty. Its main targets would be soldiers and vehicles.

Explosive - Air - Steel - Bullets - Downwards

“This is a remotely tripped explosive, which bounds in the air and fires steel or tungsten bullets downwards,” the minister told reporters.

“This gives quite a good regional effect and deterrence effect, the so called mine horror. This is being tested now.”

Finland - Union - Country - Ottawa - Convention

In 2011, Finland became the last European Union country to ratify the 1999 Ottawa Convention, which prohibits the use, stockpiling, production and transfer of anti-personnel landmines.

Finland’s ratification has lately come in for criticism domestically from some Finns who argue landmines could be effective in defending the country’s long borders.

Finland - Shares - Miles - Border - History

Finland shares a 1,340km (833 miles) border and a difficult history with Russia, and following Moscow’s annexation of Crimea in 2014, it has stepped up military spending.

Niinisto said he was not aware of a similar explosive being used somewhere...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It just doesn't get bettere than this...