Remote Controlled: Josh Radnor, Jason Katims on the ‘Simple, Beautiful’ Story of NBC’s ‘Rise’

Variety | 3/5/2018 | Debra Birnbaum
Emzah92 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/josh-radnor-jason-katims-remote-controlled.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Welcome to “Remote Controlled,” a podcast from Variety featuring the best and brightest in television, both in front of and behind the camera.

In this week’s episode, Variety‘s executive editor of TV, Debra Birnbaum, talks with “Rise” star Josh Radnor (“How I Met Your Mother”) and showrunner Jason Katims (“Friday Night Lights”).

Radnor - Katims - Reason - Drama - School

Radnor says Katims was the reason he signed for the drama about a high school teacher who takes over the school’s musical, to stage “Spring Awakening.” “I just said yes from the email,” says Radnor. “I just love the vibe of his shows. I love the honesty, the grit, and the dimensionality of the characters. I would watch his shows and say, I want to be there.”

“Rise” is based on a book about real-life teacher Lou Volpe, whom the actor got to meet. “I was curious about why he thought he had the chutzpah to do this,” says Radnor, who asked the teacher about his relationship with his students. “I think he would probably say they gave me far more than I gave them.”

Network - Show - Years - Mother - Guy

It’s the first network show he said yes to after years spent on “How I Met Your Mother” playing a single guy looking for love, and he admits the role scared him. “You forget that you have other notes to play,” he says. “I never thought of myself as a comedic actor…. I just wanted to be sure I was taking enough risk.”

Remote Controlled: 'Looming Tower' Bosses on Their 9/11 Drama: 'I Don't Think We Really Know the Story'

Katims - Show - Story - Theater - School

Katims says what drew him to the show was the story of doing musical theater in a public school in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!