Alex Garland on the ‘Mistake’ That Led to Oscar Isaac’s Robot Dance in ‘Ex Machina’

IndieWire | 3/1/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/ex-machina-1.jpg

As Alex Garland’s well-reviewed “Annihilation” steers into its second weekend at the U.S. box office, TIFF Originals just debuted a clip in which the writer-director details his motives for a beloved scene from his previous Oscar Isaac collaboration. Midway through “Ex Machina,” Bluebook CEO Nathan Bateman (Isaac) jolts his junior employee (Domhnall Gleeson) — and audiences — by joining one of his laboratory robots for a ludicrous, choreographed, much-memed dance sequence.

After adapting Kazuo Ishiguro’s novel “Never Let Me Go” into the 2010 film of the same name, Garland realized he made a “mistake,” even though he remains pleased with the final result, directed by Mark Romanek and starring Carey Mulligan. “I felt I hadn’t been bold enough with gear changes,” he said. “It found a tone, and it hit the tone really nicely, but then it kept that tone.”

Thus...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!