‘God did this’- How a 22 year-old Texan began a Catholic school for Uganda’s deaf children

Catholic News Agency | 3/1/2018 | Staff
elio25 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/St_Francis_de_Sales_School_for_the_Deaf_Courtesy_photo_2_CNA.jpg

Denver, Colo., Mar 1, 2018 / 05:00 am (CNA).- Rannah Evetts had always wanted to go to Africa. She has no explanation for it, other than that God had planted a deep love of everything Africa in her heart for as long as she can remember.

“Ever since I was a little kid, I would say I was going to Africa, and I didn’t really understand why, and my mom would just call me her little African child because that’s all I would talk about,” Rannah recalled.

Today - Rannah - Childhood - Dream - Catholic

Today, Rannah is living out her childhood dream, having founded a Catholic school for deaf children in Uganda at the age of 21.

But it came to fruition in a way she could never have imagined.

Evetts - Africa - Girl - Lot - Abuse

Evetts loved to talk about Africa as a little girl. But there was a lot she did not talk about - the sexual abuse she was experiencing and the traumatic consequences she suffered silently for years: depression, suicidal thoughts, self hate and despair.

“Through a lot of hurt and pain that God worked through me,” Evetts told CNA.

Happiness - School - Party - Scene - Relief

Desperately seeking happiness in high school, she threw herself into the party scene, looking for relief.

“I wanted to be happy, I was so tired of hating myself and being miserable, and so when I was a junior in high school I started partying a whole lot...and I quickly realized this isn’t making me happy, I’m just suffering more and more,” she said.

Answers - Evetts - Churches - Friends - Family

Looking for answers, Evetts started attending different churches with friends and family on the weekends.

Having never been baptized, she bounced around non-denominational Christian churches for a while, but did not feel like she had found the truth until she began looking into the Catholic faith.

RCIA - Drinking - Parties

“When I was a senior I started RCIA...and through all of that, I gave up drinking, no more parties, I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic News Agency
Wake Up To Breaking News!