How ‘Game of Thrones’ Has an Emotional Connection to ‘Shape of Water’

Variety | 2/25/2018 | Tim Gray
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/shape1.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Fox Searchlight’s “The Shape of Water” defies all logic. Not many filmmakers could make audiences swoon and weep at the love story between a mute janitor and a fish-man.

Also defying logic: The fact that those characters are related to Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister and the Mother of Dragons.

Vanessa - Taylor - Shape - Script - Director

Vanessa Taylor, who wrote the “Shape” script with director Guillermo del Toro, said she feels “nothing but gratitude” to be part of the project and attributes her involvement to “Game of Thrones.”

Taylor was a writer and co-executive producer on the HBO series and says that “Thrones” may at first seem very different from the film. “But the things I love about ‘Game’ are the things I love about this movie. Both use genre elements to explore the idiosyncrasy of human emotions. And even though ‘Game’ is set in a time and place that are foreign, it’s very relatable. It’s the same with ‘Shape of Water.’ I think that’s why Guillermo hired me — though actually, I never asked him!”

Wisdom - Taylor - Film - Women - Characters

Conventional wisdom says that Taylor would be the key to writing the film’s strong women characters and the romance. But conventional wisdom doesn’t apply with this film.

Taylor says when she first met with del Toro, “He already had a lot of the romance; he had been thinking about that part of the story for a long time. He knew what he wanted there.”

Subplots - Storyline - Things - Plot - Sense

But the subplots were sketchier, such as the Russian storyline. “Those things are needed for the plot to make sense; they needed fleshing. But the romance was always close to his heart.”

“Shape” is set in 1962, during the Kennedy-Camelot years. Everything seems upbeat on the surface, but the film makes clear that the American dream wasn’t shared by gays, people with disabilities, and people of color.

Meetings - Taylor

In their first few meetings, Taylor said, “We...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Individuals can exist without government but government can't exist without individuals.