Why Organizations Need Values-Driven Hope

Red Letter Christians | 2/25/2018 | Gary Edmonds
pixielilia (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.redletterchristians.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/hope-filled-hands.jpg

Much has been said over the last several decades about why organizations should be values-driven and how to recognize one that is. Becoming values-driven takes more than just writing down a bunch of great-sounding words. An organization’s values must drive the culture, strategies, and decision-making.

I think Food for the Hungry’s (FH) core values are worth sharing with others moved by faith because regardless of what one is called to do, I believe these capture the heartbeat of God, align with the vision to follow God’s call, and guide us as we decide what we’re to be doing:

Jesus

We follow Jesus.

Our work is relational.

Results

We invest wisely and focus on results.

We serve with humility.

Beauty - Goodness - Truth

We pursue beauty, goodness, and truth.

In the many years I’ve been a part of this particular organization— as a donor, a church partner, a board member, and now as President and CEO — I’ve participated in many conversations about naming values that reflect Food for the Hungry’s particular calling: ending all forms of human poverty worldwide. We’ve found that while the way we may express these values is adapted to different settings, their essence remains the same and that’s important.

Values - Times - Hope - Hope - Places

Expressed values inspire, energize, and perhaps most importantly during times like these, they offer hope. Sometimes that hope is found in the most unexpected places.

FH had to hit the ground running as camps filled with Rohingya refugees who were forced to flee for their lives from Myanmar into Bangladesh. These crowded settlements of homes made with donated bamboo sticks and plastic sheets probably seem like the last place on earth to find hope. Mothers here wait to name their babies until they’re sure their children will survive. Children walk through raw sewage on dirt paths, and diarrhea takes the lives of way too many of them.

But then there is the young...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Red Letter Christians
Wake Up To Breaking News!
NY Times, a small niche paper for a small niche people in a really big internet