Cloning Jesus

itsdonaldk (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/719/2018/02/shroud-clone.png

I am sure I am not alone in not expecting theological insight from PZ Meyers. But lately he has been sharing things that are on target, and in one recent post in particular, he focuses in on a topic of crucial theological and scientific importance, and one that is certainly of universal interest: what happens if someone tries to clone Jesus?

Now, let me immediately follow up by noting that Meyers failed to fact-check the story that came across his radar. Snopes has an entry from back in 2007 debunking the authenticity of the “Second Coming Project.” Nevertheless, the scenarios that Meyers explores would themselves make for great science fiction stories. For instance, he writes:

Shroud - Source - Jesus - Cells - Contact

The shroud isn’t going to be a particularly rich source of Jesus cells. It would have had only brief, weak contact with the body, and probably contains far more cells from passing pilgrims and holy men over the centuries. You’re more likely to resurrect some 15th century priest who is not going to be very happy with the high expectations given to him.

The shroud isn’t old enough — it’s been dated to the 13th century. You’re not going to find any Jesus cells...
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: