Pope Francis: Fresh violence in Syria's Eastern Ghouta is 'inhumane'

Catholic News Agency | 4/13/2016 | Staff
ditranian (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/Pope_Francis_2_at_the_general_audience_in_St_Peters_Square_April_13_2016_Credit_Daniel_Ibaez_CNA.jpg

Vatican City, Feb 25, 2018 / 04:37 am (CNA/EWTN News).- After a week of heavy bombardment near Damascus left hundreds of civilians dead, Pope Francis has made an appeal for global leaders to rally in ending the siege, allowing civilians to evacuate and humanitarian aid to get in.

“In these days my thought is often turned to the beloved and martyred Syria, where the war has exploded again, especially in Eastern Ghouta,” the Pope said Feb. 25, noting that this month marks one of the most violent since the Syrian conflict erupted seven years ago.

Thousands - Lives - Ongoing - War - Week

Thousands of innocent lives have been claimed by the ongoing, bloody war, with several hundred more being added just this past week, many of whom are women, children and elderly, he said.

“Hospitals have been hit, people can't get enough to eat...all of this is inhumane,” Francis said, stressing that “evil cannot be fought with another evil.”

Pope - Heartfelt - Appeal - Leaders - Violence

The Pope then issued “a heartfelt appeal” for global leaders to work to stop the violence, to allow humanitarian aid such as food and medicine into the area, and to ensure that the sick and wounded would be evacuated.

Francis' appeal comes a week after Russian-backed Syrian forces launched a series of deadly airstrikes and artillery fire on besieged Easter Ghouta enclave, which sits just northeast of Damascus.

Home - People - Eastern - Ghouta - Area

Home to some 400,000 people, Eastern Ghouta is the last rebel-held area east of Damascus and has been a target of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces since 2013 in a bid to drive the rebels out.

According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, the fresh eruption of conflict in the area, which began Feb. 18, has so far left more than 500 civilians dead, of whom 121 are children. Aid groups also report that several hospitals in the area are now out of commission.

Days

After three days...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic News Agency
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!