Super Bowl Parties and Easter Sunday

LifeWay Pastors | 2/22/2018 | Daniel Hyun
kshama-s (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo:

I just wasn’t the biggest fan of bringing together football and people for the biggest game of the year. I was “that guy” who lacked the patience to sit in a room with a bunch of people who had no clue about the sport and were more excited about things like munchies and commercials than anything else. My inner football-Pharisee would be on high alert judging Super Bowl-only fans about their ignorance outwardly displayed. I really had little patience for the whole thing.

However, my approach to Super Bowl parties has changed. And it’s because of Easter Sunday worship.

Resurrection - Sunday - Celebration - Church - Nothing

Resurrection Sunday is the most glorious celebration we have in the Christian Church. There is nothing more joyous than praising the name of the Savior who has conquered sin and death. And I love how many churches make intentional efforts at Easter to invite in those who may not normally be in church.

But I’ve also noticed that some Christians can get a little frustrated at these Easter attenders. People we never see are suddenly taking up all the parking. Regular attenders’ usual seats are occupied by these random strangers. The flow of worship is a little off because so many are not familiar with the rhythms and rituals of our order of service. Maybe there’s a little annoyance at all the extra bells and whistles that seem to be pulled out for this day to draw in these twice a year folks at the expense of those faithfully present week and after week.

Judgment - Folks - Following - Sunday - Christmas

If we’re honest, there can be a little judgment going on toward these folks who may not be back the following Sunday, at least until the next Christmas Eve. Some in the church may even shake their heads at the notion that someone would identify as a Christian but only show...
(Excerpt) Read more at: LifeWay Pastors
Wake Up To Breaking News!