How to Live Up to Your Wedding Vows When Things Go Bad

ChurchLeaders | 2/20/2018 | Staff
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/CL_MattChandler_642x428.jpg

On your wedding day you stand before family and friends and recite those famous vows, pledging your love “for better or worse.” In essence, on the most romantic day of your life, you’re saying, “this could go bad.” But at the same time you’re promising not to go anywhere if it does.

Matt Chandler, pastor of Village Church and president of the Acts 29 Network, told listeners to the ChurchLeaders podcast that is the reality of marriage that he wishes more people understood.

Chandler - Reality - Context - Wedding - Vows

Chandler put that reality into context. He said the wedding vows are telling God and those in attendance, “One of us could get sick, really sick with cancer and I’m staying if that happens. And we could be broke, we could be sharing Raman noodles and Dr. Thunder for the next twenty years and I’m doing that with you.”

He calls that a covenant promise as opposed to a contractual arrangement that is dependent on one party’s happiness. That’s counterintuitive to today’s understanding of love that he calls “emotive and cupidian.”

Chandler - Pastors - Confusion - Dating - Years

Chandler encourages pastors to help clear up the confusion about dating and even the early years of marriage saying, “The culture lied to them about how to walk in the fullest possible life in relation to others.”

He called on church leaders to present a plan that is far more lovely than the world’s plan and the good news that God’s grace covers where we have fallen short.

Young - People - Today - Line - Hand

Young people today are walking a difficult line. On one hand the world is selling the idea that selfish love is most fulfilling and is all about emotions. On the other, the church is shaming those who fall short of God’s design.

“I want to, as often as I can, tell people that the Bible is grimy and those who are God’s brightest lights are...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: