Further Reflections on the Florida Massacre and the Gun Debacle

The Bible and Culture | 2/19/2018 | Staff
InLove4567 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/bibleandculture/files/2017/09/blar17-e1504287959439-768x1024.jpg

Having reflected on the various comments posted on my original and second blog post about the killing of students at Parkland High recently, certain things should be added. I was heartened to see the response of the high school students themselves demanding change in the gun laws in Florida. Maybe the millennials can force our recalcitrant politicians to take actions. To the naysayers who insist this will not make any difference, I will say you are very wrong. Take for instance what happened in Connecticut after the Sandy Hook massacre. The state took action, and legislated much stricter gun laws. The result? Gun violence has gone down markedly in that state ever since, from all the reports I’ve seen.

Secondly, better mental health screenings are important but they certainly won’t solve this problem everywhere. Why not? Because the issue is not just mental health, it is sin or wickedness! There are plenty of wicked people who don’t show up on mental health screenings, and who are perfectly lucid. One needs moral screening not just mental health screening. Here’s one place ministers and rabbis the church and the synagogue could do more to help our malaise.

Government - Opposite - Case - Attention - Report

Thirdly, to those who say we need less government, just the opposite is the case. If you paid attention to the report as to why the FBI and local law enforcement dropped the ball on this one, the number one reason was— they don’t have enough employees and time to sift all the forms of social media, or follow up all the leads, however urgent to do their jobs properly!

Fourthly, if you really want to drain the swamp in Washington, then stop electing candidates who are deeply indebted to the NRA. For example, take the pathetically weak response of Marco Rubio in Florida, who has received $3...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Bible and Culture
Wake Up To Breaking News!