AMANDA PLATELL: My friend Brendan Cox is not some Weinstein-like sex fiend - if anyone deserves a second chance he does

Mail Online | 6/16/2016 | Amanda Platell for the Daily Mail
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/02/18/22/495C21A500000578-0-image-a-5_1518992023427.jpg

The first time I met Brendan Cox was last June when we both appeared on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show.

I spent nearly an hour with him and his two small children, Cuillin and Lejla, in the green room, and was so inspired by this loving little family I wrote about them in my column.

Chatter - References - Home - Year - Labour

Their chatter was peppered with so many references to ‘Mummy’ you’d have thought she was waiting for them all at home. A year earlier, the Labour MP Jo Cox had been murdered in the street.

Since then I have come to know Brendan and his children through his charity work for the Jo Cox Foundation and More In Common, which he set up after her death.

Yesterday - Brendan - Cherished - Charities - Allegations

I was deeply shocked to learn yesterday that Brendan, 39, had resigned from both his cherished charities after allegations of inappropriate sexual behavior said to have taken place while Jo was still alive.

Clearly, I don’t condone what he did if the allegations are true, but it is not the conduct of the man I have come to know.

Point - Anyone - Chance - Brendan - Cox

And that, surely, is the point. If anyone deserves a second chance, it is Brendan Cox.

Who among us can comprehend what it must be like to carry on raising two little children on your own, surrounding them with love and security after their mother has not just died, but been brutally – and so senselessly – murdered.

Brendan - Character - Jo - Death - Events

I cannot speak for Brendan’s character before Jo’s death, I can only attest to it since the ghastly events of June 16, 2016.

We are the unlikeliest of friends, he a committed Labour man, me a lifelong Conservative. Yet what I see in him is a devoted father who has almost miraculously managed to give Cuillin, seven, and Lejla, five, a happy life.

Kids

They are adorable, inquisitive, vivacious kids, which in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!