Roses are red, Ajit Pai is tickled. Broadband from SpaceX gets him out of a pickle

www.theregister.co.uk | 2/14/2018 | Staff
chicana948 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2017/01/31/pai-comcast-hat.jpg?x=1200&y=794

SpaceX's plans to become a global ISP took a big step forward after Ajit Pai – the boss of America's comms watchdog, the FCC – gave his blessing for Elon Musk's biz to pop broadband-beaming satellites into orbit.

The rocketry upstart wants to build a network of low-Earth orbit birds named Starlink that will provide high-speed internet connectivity around the world using radio links to ground transceivers.

US - Shop - Permission - Satellites - Constellation

The US spacefaring shop asked for permission to launch up to 12,000 satellites to form this internet-sharing constellation. On Wednesday this week, Pai, and his two Republican FCC commissioners that do his bidding, indicated the plan is a goer.

"Following careful review of this application by our International Bureau's excellent satellite engineering experts, I have asked my colleagues to join me in supporting this application and moving to unleash the power of satellite constellations to provide high-speed Internet to rural Americans," Pai said in a statement.

Approval - Company - Broadband - Services - Generation

"If adopted, it would be the first approval given to an American-based company to provide broadband services using a new generation of low-Earth orbit satellite technologies."

The Starlink network may get Pai out of a bit of a spot. Broadband deployment sucks in America compared to the rest of the advanced industrialized world. The FCC boss hoped to fudge that by tweaking the definition of broadband, a move which would have painted US ISPs in a more positive light. However, that caper was dropped after a storm of protest.

Time - Pai

At the same time, Pai's...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!