Stephen Fry blasts Oxfam and urges it to get 'its house in order' after Minnie Driver became the first to abandon the charity over sex abuse scandal

Mail Online | 3/31/2017 | Thomas Burrows for MailOnline

Stephen Fry has urged Oxfam to get 'its house in order' in the wake of the sex abuse scandal.

The charity has faced a backlash from celebrities, sponsors and donors following allegations that senior staff working in crisis zones paid for sex with vulnerable locals.

Mr - Fry - Charity - People - Books

Mr Fry has frequently supported the charity, most notably encouraging people to donate 500,000 books to raise £1m in a campaign in 2012.

But a spokesperson for the comedian told the Daily Telegraph he was 'waiting to see how they put their house in order after the terrible and disturbing scandal'.

Minnie - Driver - Night - Charity - Ambassadors

Minnie Driver last night became the first of the charity's global ambassadors to break ranks and quit in protest.

The actress is stepping down after 20 years, saying she was horrified by the allegations.

Revelation - Oxfam - Women - People - Response

The 48-year-old tweeted: 'All I can tell you about this awful revelation about Oxfam is that I am devastated. Devastated for the women who were used by people sent there to help them, devastated by the response of an organisation that I have been raising awareness for since I was 9 years old #oxfamscandal.'

During her time as an Oxfam ambassador, the Good Will Hunting star travelled to countries including Cambodia and Thailand to highlight the charity's work and has also performed at a fundraising concert.

Celebrities - Ambassadors - Pop - Band - Coldplay

Of the British celebrities who act as ambassadors, the pop band Coldplay and actor Bill Nighy, who travelled to Tazmania in 2007 with the charity, both refused to comment, while representatives of the singer Annie Lennox failed to respond to requests for comment.

The remaining 12 ambassadors, including Desmond Tutu, have not yet responded to inquiries.

Firms - Relationship - Charity - Failure

Major firms said they would review their relationship with the charity because of its failure to protect the vulnerable.

Visa and Marks & Spencer both spoke out against 'abhorrent' and 'deeply concerning' behaviour by Oxfam...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't believe everything you think...