White parents agonizing over whether to allow their children to wear a Black Panther costume in case they are accused of 'cultural appropriation'

Mail Online | 2/14/2018 | Abigail Miller For Dailymail.com
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/02/14/21/493864E900000578-0-image-a-44_1518644757696.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/01/09/1070658917548641331/1024x576_MP4_1070658917548641331.mp4

Black Panther comes roaring into theaters Thursday, and along with it comes merchandise and costumes for adults and children alike.

But as thousands of parents prepare to take their children to see the film, which is expected to rake it in at the box office, some white parents have been left wondering about how to approach the subject of race.

White - Parents - Children - Black - Panther

White parents are trying to make sure they are not culturally appropriating when they take their children to see Black Panther over the weekend, especially if those children want to dress up like the main character - superhero T'Challa, AKA the Black Panther.

Some parents are worried that allowing their children to wear the Black Panther masks or costumes could be considered cultural appropriation, or even black face.

New - York - Times - Tuesday - Author

In a New York Times op-ed published Tuesday, author Kwame Opam pointed out that many parents are trying to toe the line to make sure they aren't accused of being racially insensitive.

'Many parents are split on how Black Panther's blackness should figure into their children's relationship with the character,' the article said.

Experts - Conclusion - Children - Races - T'Challa

But after speaking to many experts, the overwhelming conclusion remained the same, children of all races are welcome, and even encouraged to dress up as T'Challa.

That being said, it is important for white parents to have a conversation with children about the issues of race in America before seeing the film, the article explained.

Reason - Kid - Black - Panther - Vimeo

'When I look at it, I see no reason why a kid who's not black can't dress like Black Panther,' Vimeo HR Director Katrina Jones told the Times.

'Just like our kid who's not white dresses up like Captain America. I think the beautiful thing about comics is they do transcend race in a lot of ways.'

Evan - Narcisse - Editor

Evan Narcisse, editor of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!