WHEN GOD LETS IT RIP (JUST MIGHT SURPRISE YOU)

Margaret Feinberg | 2/14/2018 | Margaret
Click For Photo: https://margaretfeinberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_8538.jpg

It’s here! It’s here!

I feel like a child on Christmas morning…though it’s Lent morning.

Tone

Perhaps I should take a more somber tone.

But for me, one of the most transformative seasons of the year is here.

Today - Valentine - Day - Ash - Wednesday

Today is Valentine’s Day, Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of Lent all wrapped into one. This marks a powerful season in the church calendar, one in which we ready our hearts for the coming resurrection.

You’re invited to join me and thousands of others in reading through the Gospel of Mark over the next 40 days.

Mark - Gospel - Time - Jesus - Birth

Mark’s Gospel spends no time describing Jesus’ birth, childhood, genealogical inheritance. He rushes straight into the action without a moment to spare. He uses the word euthus, meaning “immediately, directly, straightaway, at once” 11 times in chapter 1 alone.

Bonus challenge: Star each occurrence of these words as you read along in your Remarkable workbook.

Movie - Scene - Launches - Car - Chase

Like a movie whose opening scene launches straight into the car chase, the curtain peels back and we’re greeted with a strange, camel-covered fellow named John the Baptizer who proceeds to proclaim a coming Messiah. Without skipping a beat, the Messiah himself enters the act and John baptizes him.

The Greek word, schizomenous, meaning “to tear open, cleave, split, rent asunder” is used only one other time in Mark’s Gospel—at Christ’s death.

Mark - Veil - Heaven - Earth - Symbol

Mark 15:38 describes the veil between heaven and earth being ripped open. This symbol would remind the Jewish audience of the curtain inside the temple that kept man from God being rent from top to bottom.

It’s interesting to note that Matthew and Luke tame their language when they retell Jesus’ baptism. Rather than use the word meaning “to tear...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Margaret Feinberg
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: