Top 10 reasons we fall in love

earthsky.org | 2/14/2018 | Deborah Byrd
echolea (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://en.es-static.us/upl/2012/02/adrienne_love-300x215.jpg

The lovely and loving Adrienne Haschke. Used with permission.

When I was young, it seemed as if I fell in love a lot. Looking back now, more than 55 years from my first crush, I remember the dizzying feeling of new intimacies, emotional boundaries crashing down, two hearts thumping, two hands touching, the whole huge magical adrenaline rush of it. And if the prince turned out to be a toad, or geography nixed the relationship, well … I turned my thoughts to working hard and living a happy life. On this Valentine’s Day 2018, I want to share with you what the world of science suggests, from the perspective of one who has loved long and a lot, about the mystery we call love.

Science - Explains - Ways - Scientists - Studies

Science explains love in many ways. From various scientists and scientific studies, here are some reasons why we love.

1. Because we all want to “expand beyond ourselves.” Pyschologist Arthur Aron at Stoney Brook University has conducted studies suggesting that a primary motive for us as humans is to “expand the self and to increase our abilities and our effectiveness.” He told howstuffworks.com:

Love - Person - Someone - Situation - Opportunity

Usually, we fall in love with a person that we find attractive and appropriate for us, but also someone who demonstrates that they are attracted to us. This creates a situation where a great opportunity is open to us for self-expansion. The fact that they are attracted to us offers a significant opportunity — when we perceive this, we feel a surge of exhilaration!

2. Good eye contact. Arthur Aron again (see #1). He conducted a study that encouraged strangers of the opposite sex to discuss intimate details about themselves for 90 minutes. At the end of that time, each couple stared into each other’s eyes for four minutes in silence. The results? Many of the couples said...
(Excerpt) Read more at: earthsky.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Appeasement - when you're what's for dinner!
Tagged: