Till Death Do Us Part (Jonathan Storment)

Jesus Creed | 2/14/2018 | Staff
Claw987Claw987 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/jesuscreed/files/2014/03/AshWed.png

Last weekend, late on a Saturday night our family dog, Moses, began to die.

We’ve had Moses (a golden retriever) for almost 15 years. Almost as long as Leslie and I have been married, moving from jobs in Ft. Worth to Abilene, and through the birth of 5 kids, Moses has been in the background of our lives. He was the best dog we could’ve asked for, and so when he started struggling to breath last Saturday night it was incredibly sad.

Preacher - Kid - Kids - Lots - Funerals

Being a preacher’s kid means my kids go to lots of funerals and funeral homes. Our kids are not stranger to grief and loss, but this was the first time that death was going to hit them so closely.

So before we went to the vet, our family gathered around Moses, and shared our favorite memories of him. After a few tearful and happy-sad minutes, we prayed and thanked God for the gift that Moses had been to our lives and then we took Moses for his last road trip.

Light - People - Suffering - Petty

I wasn’t planning on writing about this, it feels too intimate and awkward and fresh, not to mention, in light of other people’s suffering, petty.

But my kids said something during the middle of all this that I thought was insightful, not because it was so profound, but because it is so common. They said something along the lines of, “we don’t want another dog if it means having to go through this again.”

Today - Ash - Wednesday…and - Valentine - Day

So today is Ash Wednesday…and Valentine’s Day. Both days have their own awkwardness, in very different ways. Both days open up wounds in people for different reasons, and yet both days are connected.

There’s a reason that every Christian wedding asks the couple to consider their death. Worked into our vows, the couple repeats after the minister that they will love...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!