How e-sports stars broke into the Dota 2 scene

CNET | 2/14/2018 | Aloysius Low
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/jtuMpdykR3uqfVegoBZMG1CmJg8=/670x503/2018/01/29/20486fe1-41ab-4e7d-85c1-26d110c170cf/eslone-genting-3.jpg

Like regular sporting events, most e-sports tournaments feature a host, casters and analysts to provide commentary and explanations to the watching crowd.

Clowning is serious business if you're a professional idiot like Jake "SirActionSlacks" Kanner, or Slacks as he's commonly known.

Kanner - Millions - Dota - Viewers - Antics

Kanner didn't exactly set out to become famous among millions of Dota 2 viewers. But he's now known for his weird antics in front of the camera and his intensive knowledge of Dota 2 lore.

His career began with a video on YouTube, in which he made stupid voices while playing the game. From there he's moved on to signing up with a Dota 2 studio before co-hosting The International Dota 2 championships in 2016 and 2017. So it's fair to say that Kanner's life as an online personality has been a crazy ride. These days, Kanner creates mini content segments for tournament downtimes, engages with fans and also does interviews with players.

Jake - SirActionSlacks - Kanner - Goofball - Blessing

Jake "SirActionSlacks" Kanner is a professional goofball and a blessing to the Dota 2 scene.

In person, Kanner is slightly more serious, but still full of manic energy. And while he goofs around, you have a feeling that there's a lot of intelligence behind the professional idiot persona he usually projects, though he's quick to downplay this.

Lot - People - Act - Kind - Intelligences

"A lot of people tell me, oh you know, he's got this act and it's so good but it's really different kind of intelligences I guess? I'm pretty stupid in a lot of ways -- I can't spell, I can't pronounce words correctly. It's less of an act, it'd be nice if it was an act," said Kanner.

He added that plenty of others have put in hard work, but for him, it was "falling upwards, idiotically," and added that most of his work is going into maintaining and growing his status as a talent...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: