FEBRUARY: THE MAKE OR BREAK MONTH FOR YOUR MINISTRY

Youth Specialties | 2/14/2018 | Staff
lhumara (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://youthspecialties.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/ys-logo.png

The new year is an exciting time of new commitments, fresh vision, and an unexplainable sense of hope that is often lost somewhere in the 11 months following until January rolls around again. It’s easy to align in two camps regarding the tradition of New Year’s Resolutions – love or hate. I personally, love the practice of healthy goal setting in any season and see the new year, both calendar and school, as a natural time for it. However, I’ve been challenged to see the month of February as the most important month for my resolutions and goals set for the new year, and you ought too as well.

The common theory on habit formation is derived from a book by Dr. Maxwell Maltz where Maltz concluded a 21-day period of discipline and commitment would establish a habit. This opinion was accepted as truth and even supported by THE Tony Robbins, so it had to be true, right? Wrong. Maltz, a plastic surgeon made an assumption based on observation and little study. A later study was done by Phillippa Lally, an actual psychologist, discovered that a MINIMUM time period of 66 days was needed to truly establish a habit. We wonder why only 8% of New Year’s Resolutions are kept when people assume putting in a third of the work will get them there.

Concept - Ministry - Amount - Discipline - Diligence

This concept is transferable to your ministry in the amount of discipline and diligence needed to establish a true habit or accomplish a healthy goal. It’s one thing to make goals and cast vision in January, but it’s another to buckle down and charge toward them in January and clear through February. A 21-day commitment may not do you or your vision justice. February is the month to champion the discomfort and embrace the challenge of true commitment...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Youth Specialties
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: