THE RED COUCH: SHELOVES BOOK CLUB

SheLoves Magazine | 2/14/2018 | Megan Gahan
TwiztedGurl (Posted by) Level 3
http://shelovesmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/everybody’s-got-a-mailbox-4.jpg

I actually have a photo of six-year-old me on February 14. My dark hair is pulled into two pigtails, each adorned with a lacy bow. I am wearing a white turtleneck with pink cupids dancing along the frills at the shoulder. I am beaming, because it is my favourite day.

Valentine’s Day.

Years - Day - Enjoyment - Sensibilities - Kindergartener

Thirty years later, I still love this darn day. I really do. And my enjoyment has not evolved much from the sensibilities of a kindergartener. I delight in the fluttering red and blush paper hearts after dreary January. I live for the copious amounts of chocolate and the bags of spicy cinnamon hearts, which I unabashedly crunch all month long. Of course, at the heart of it, today is about love. There is something so beautifully profound about a day to show love. A day that inspires us to press pause on our to-do lists, and express gratitude for our friends and family. A day to remember those who have weathered life’s most devastating storms with their hand firmly in ours. A day to send thoughtful cards and texts and fifty-pound teddy bears.

In grade school, giving and receiving Valentine’s Day cards was the hands-down highlight. I agonized over choosing valentines for each of my friends, and couldn’t wait to deliver my cards to their mailboxes. Of course, by mailbox I mean a folded over piece of construction paper.

Thing - Cards - Valentine - Person - Class

The one thing I remember about crafting those cards is that I had to make a valentine for every single person in my class. I made one for my best friend. And for the girl who always scored higher than me on math tests. I picked one for the boy who made fun of me every morning on the bus. And for that weird kid who ate vanilla Lip Smackers.

Everyone got one. The...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SheLoves Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
An enemy of death and destruction
Tagged: